Women of Colors, Inc.
Women of Colors, Inc. (WOC) is an independent nonprofit organization that has been an active community partner since its inception in 1993.
WOC takes pride in our womanhood individually and collectively. We care about the development and growth of our community. We work together to improve youth, women and families. WOC is funded through grants, fundraising, membership dues and donations.
Our mission strives to promote multi-cultural diversity and enhance community relations in Saginaw County by performing community service, mentoring youth, and collaborating with other organizations.
WOC provides an opportunity to build new friendships and to personally empower members who are encouraged to share ideas. We promote sisterhood, identify and enhance gifts, talents and skills of members. WOC collaborates with schools, churches, agencies, and other organizations to provide a variety of resources to help youth, women, and families in need.
Want to Help Your Community?
All you need is the desire to do more and a willingness to move forward with a group of loving and caring women. WOC's concentration is targeted toward supporting issues that concern the Saginaw community. Members have an opportunity to receive training, attend educational meetings, volunteer, mentor a women or child, facilitate a learning session, work with parents, or support and guide the organization as we strive to achieve our mission.
Women of Colors, Inc. established Great Empowering Motivational Sessions (GEMS) divided between three youth mentoring programs as listed below:
Sugar & Spice
Young Men Who Dare
Since 1998, WOC members have volunteered countless hours to plan, facilitate, and mentor youth. Participants can learn etiquette skills, team work, community service, and much more.
- Est. first "Mothers Against Crime March
- GEMS Scholarship
- GEMS Parent Committee
- Adopt-A-Park (Ojibway Island Pavilion)
- Aerobic classes for disadvantaged women
- Book bags and school supplies collection for disadvantaged student or students who made significant progress.
- Sister friends for pregnant moms in need of direction and emotional support.
- GEMS Bi-Annual Awards Banquet
- HIV/AIDS Thanksgiving Food Drive
- HIV/AIDS Annual Walk-A-Thon
- Arson Watch Participant
- WOC Book Club
- Sickle Cell Walk-A-Thon
- American Breast Cancer Walk-A-Thon
- Michigan Nonprofit Association
- Saginaw County Health Dept. (FYI)
- Saginaw Chamber of Commerce
- Michigan State University 4H